Boiled wool beret. Custom order for Paula
Finally I have the opportunity to write a new and far more up to date post for the bewildering number of surfers who find my blog as a result of googling beret. What is it with berets? Everyone seems to be on a beret quest (take note crafters!). The ‘back from Origin’ post written a year ago, attracts more views than all other posts put together and this as a result of the tag…..(do I need to say it again?).
Today I made a customised beret for Etsian Paula. She wanted one in colours other than those offered on etsy so I showed her a few pics of other fabric samples. She chose a boiled wool fabric which was left over from a previous commission and I was excited to get the opportunity to play with it once again.
Beret panels cut and ready to sew
The fabric responded well to the usual treatment of zig zag seams and embroidered dots. Paula had requested a raspberry flower for the crown. I tried making the flower in felt but the combination of felt and boiled wool just wasn’t right. So out came the red dye and a rosy brew was mixed.
OK...lets give it a go!
So the raspberry flower was cut and attached and here folks (drum roll) …is the beret!
and for a little luxury, a pure silk lining!
It looks scrumptious on. Just my size and I want it!!!
Also emerging from my sewing machine were two lovely Lobelias.
Looking a lttle apprehensive about the impending journey ahead.
a nest brooch for Naomi’s mum’s Xmas (how organised!)
and a Hebridean Hare Egg cosy for the purpose of documenting a how to pattern for Sew Hip magazine.
Dazed and confused
Got to go. Desperate housewives!!